Cinnamon, almond and poached pear buckwheat porridge
*This recipe is best started the night before, to make sure the buckwheat is soft and ready to go in the morning :)
1 cup buckwheat, soaked overnight
2 small bosc or kaiser peas*
2 tsp pure vanilla essence
1.5 cups almond milk
A good pinch of fine Himalayan Pink salt
1 heaped tsp of cinnamon
1 medium sized banana
2 tsp almond butter
1-2 tbsp rice malt syrup
*This is the brown skinned variety - it keeps it's
form and softens well when poached.
1. In the morning, drain and rinse the soaked buckwheat very well.
2. Peel the pears whole, leaving the stalk on and fill a small saucepan with water, add the two peeled pears and bring to the boil. Cook for 10-15 mins depending on how soft they were to start with.
3. In a separate saucepan, add the buckwheat, vanilla, 1 cup of the milk, salt, cinnamon and banana chopped roughly. Bring to the boil then reduce heat stirring occasionally for 10 mins, adding in the rest of the milk if the porrdige becomes too thick or if it starts to stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
4. Add the almond butter and rice malt syrup, mixing well, add any milk that's left.
5. Put porridge in two bowls and top with poached pear, toasted flaked almonds, some more almond milk around the edges and sprinkle with cinnamon.