Serves 6 as a side
Best served as a side, for example with my coconut chicken (recipe here)
1 cup black rice
1 large or 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (approx. 500g) leave the skin on
2 tbsp Cajun spice mix
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
1/4 cup of chopped coriander
1/2 cup of unsalted cashews
1 orange, quartered, peeled, chopped
3 Spring onion stalks, finely chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped finely
1/4 cup sliced Jalapeños, finely diced
Sweet lime dressing:
Juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp rice malt syrup
1 tbsp water
1 tsp cajun spice
Salt and pepper, to season
Cajun sweet potato, black rice, orange and cashew salad
1. Pre heat the oven to 220C. Fill a saucepan with water and bring to the boil, put the rice in the saucepan and leave it to cook for 25-30 mins.
2. Meanwhile, chop the sweet potato into 2cm cubes and coat well with olive oil or coconut oil, a little bit of salt and a generous amount of cajun spice mix. Rub the mix onto the sweet potato until it's well covered then place them on a baking paper lined tray. Put the tray in the oven and cook for 30 - 40 mins or until crispy.
3. Put a small fry pan on low heat and add chop the cashews into little pieces, add them to the pan tossing them with a spatular or spoon to make sure they don't burn. This will give them a nice crunch.
4. To make the sweet lime dressing put all ingredients in a small bowl or shaker and mix well with a small whisk or spoon.
5. Once the rice is done, season it with some salt and pepper, then add the red onion, jalapenos and spring onions, mix together well. Then when cooled slightly add the orange pieces, coriander (leaving some to garnish), sweet potato and the sweet lime dressing, mix it all together and then put in a serving bowl and garnish with the cashews and left over chopped coriander.
6. Serve with coconut chicken.