7 Veg Red Wine Bolognese
2 tsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely diced
2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
2 cups sliced button mushrooms
500g beef mince
1 cup dry red wine (such as shiraz)
1/2 a 700ml bottle of organic passata
1 carrot, grated
1 zucchini, grated
1/2 head of a medium sized broccoli, chopped (just the florets)
1/2 cup kale, finely chopped (optional)
*I serve it with gluten free quinoa and rice pasta
1. Put a large fry pan on a medium-high heat, add the olive oil and once heated, the chopped onion.
2. Once the onion has sauteed for a few minutes and started to go slightly translucent, add the chopped garlic, leave to sautee together for a further minute or so before adding in the celery (if using), mushrooms and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper.
3. When the mix is fragrant add in the beef mince, stirring while it cooks and breaks apart.
4. Add the red wine and passata and leave to reduce for 5-10 mins.
5. Add the carrot, zucchini and brocoli and allow to cook for a further 5 mins or so - now would be a good time to add more red wine or passata if you think it needs it.
6. Lastly, add the chopped kale (if using) and mix through, allowing to cook for 2 mins or so to wilt it slightly, season with more salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve with pasta of your choice!
This is great for freezing individual portions