Chicken nuggets & Chips
Serves 4 kids OR 2 hungry adults, makes approx. 32 nuggets (depending on the size of the chicken breast and how large you cut the nuggets)
2 large chicken breasts
1/2 cup polenta (I use organic, non GMO)
2 tbsp cup psyllium husk*
1 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt,
3-4 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 large sweet potato
2-3 small potatoes**
Homemade tomato sauce (Recipe here)
*you can buy this from the health food isle in woolworths or coles, or any health food store
**I've found that dutch cream works best
I recommend making the tomato sauce first, or in advance.
And I put any left over crumb in an air tight container and refrigerate for next time.
1. Pre heat the oven to 220C (fan forced).
2. Wash the sweet potato and potatoes well then dry them, slice them lengthways and then again into thin fries, put them in a large bowl and coat with 2 tbsp of the olive or melted coconut oil, season with 1 tsp of the salt and a good shake of pepper.
3. Line a baking tray with baking paper and put a single layer of the chips on it - they will be crispier if they're not overlapping. Put the tray in the oven and leave to cook for 30-40 mins - turning the chips over every 15-20 mins or so, so they cook evenly.
4. While the chips are in the oven get a shallow dish or bowl and mix the polenta and psyllium husk with the remaining salt (1/2 tsp) and a good sprinkle of pepper.
5. Break one of the eggs (start with 1 egg and only use a second if you need to) into a separate shallow dish or bowl and use a fork to gently whisk it until the yolk and white are mixed together.
6. Cut the chicken breast into strips and then into 'nuggets' - between the two breasts it should make around 30-32 nuggets.
7. Heat a large non stick fry pan on a medium -high heat and pour 1 tbsp of the olive oil onto the pan.
8. Roll the chicken pieces in the egg mix and then straight into the crumb. Once the oil has heated up in the pan put the crumbed nuggets in the pan and cook for about 3-5 minutes on one side (or until the crumb has started to turn golden), then turn the nuggets over and cook the other side for a further 3-5 mins. Keep turning until they are cooked on the inside - I tend to cut one open to make sure it's cooked on the inside.
9. Take the chips out of the oven and serve with the chicken nuggets and tomato sauce.