Crunchy roast broccoli and sumac salad with 'creamy' dressing
Serves 1, or 2 as a side
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 head broccoli
1/4 a red onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lemon, zest and juice of 1/2
1-2 tsp sumac
1/4 cup whole almonds
1 cup salad leaves - spinach and/or rocket
Salt and pepper, to season
A sprinkle of chili flakes (optional)
1 clove garlic (optional)
Optional extras to bulk it up:
Shredded Lamb and roast chick peas OR
Shredded chicken and avocado
1 tbsp tahini
2 tsp lemon juice
4-5 tsp water
1/2 tsp sumac
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cook quinoa, as per instructions on packet.
2. Pre heat the oven to 200C (fan forced).
3. Chop the onion in half, down the middle, then into quarters and then into eighths, break the layers apart and put on a baking paper lined oven tray with the broccoli florets.
4. Cover the broccoli and onion with lemon zest, olive oil, salt and pepper and sumac. Put in the oven for 15- 20 mins (time will depend on your oven - you want the broccoli to be crispy, but you don't want the onion to burn). When there is 5 mins left of the roasting time add the almonds onto the tray and pop back in the oven.
5. Meanwhile make the dressing by putting all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and mixing well with a spoon.
6. Take the oven tray out and allow almonds to cool for a few minutes. When they have cooled down, roughly chop them into pieces.
7. Add broccoli and red onion to the salad mix, and then mix through the cooked quinoa (at this point add chicken and avo or lamb and roast chick peas, if you’re using them)
6. Sprinkle with toasted chopped almonds and then drizzle with the dressing