Lemon, Herb Chicken w Fennel & Parsnip Puree and Golden Beets
2 Golden Beets
2 tbsp olive (and/or coconut oil)
1 large fennel bulb (or 2 small)
1 tbsp dill, chopped finely
2 chicken thigh
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 garlic clove, chopped finely
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 garlic clove, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Pre heat oven to 400F
2. Slice beets finely and place on parchment paper on a baking tray. Bake for 15 mins, without oil.
3. Chop fennel and parsnip into slices/rounds. Bring 2 cups of water to the boil in a saucepan on the stove, when boiling, add the fennel and parsnip. Boil for 10-15 mins or until soft.
4. While the fennel and parsnip are boiling, marinade the chicken thigh. Add the two chicken thighs to a bowl, drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper, chopped parsley and garlic. Zest and juice 1 lemon. Add all the zest to the chicken and 1/2 of the juice of the lemon, rub it all into the chicken well and leave to sit for 5-10 mins.
5. Check on the beets (after 10-15 mins) when they have started to crisp/cook, drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put them back in the oven for another 10-15 mins.
6. When the fennel and parsnip are soft, take the pan off the stove and drain the water (keep 1/2 a cup of the water and set it aside). Add the fennel and parsnip and the other 1/2 of the lemon juice to a blender or food processor along with the dill, 1/2 tsp of salt, pepper and 1/4 cup of the left over boiling water. Blend until smooth, like a puree. (if needed, add the other 1/4 cup of water and keep blending until it's a consistency that you like).
7. Heat a non stick fry pan on a medium to high heat, add the coconut oil, when warm add the chicken thighs and cook for 5-10 mins on each side or until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Take golden beets out of the oven.
8. Assemble dish firstly with the puree, add chicken (sliced) on top of the puree, then place the roasted golden beets around it and sprinkle dill on the plate.