Roast veg quinoa salad
w pistachio and mint
Serves 2 or 4 as a side
1/2 cup tri coloured quinoa
1-2 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
1 medium sweet potato
1 large beetroot
2 large carrots
2 tbsp rice malt syrup or honey
1/4 cup pistachios
1/4 cup mint
Salt and pepper, to taste
*Note, I leave the skin on the veggies when I roast them, lots of good nutrients under the skin!
1. Pre heat oven to 200C (fan forced)
2. Chop sweet potato, beetroot in 2 cm cubes*, cut carrots into 1 cm rounds then half them. Add coconut or olive oil, rice malt syrup or honey and coat the veggies well, season with salt and pepper then place on a baking paper lined oven tray. Place in hot oven and cook for 20 mins.
3. Meanwhile cook the quinoa; 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water - in this case; 1 cup of quinoa. Bring water to the boil, add quinoa, turn off heat and cover - leave for 20mins
4. At the 20min mark check and turn the roast veggies and return to the oven for a further 5-10 mins or until cooked and crispy.
5. Get a small non stick pan and put on medium heat, add the pistachios and carefully toast them for a few minutes, if you leave them too long they will burn. Once slightly crunchy set them aside to cool and chop the mint.
6. Drizzle some olive oil and mix the salt and pepper through the cooked quinoa (which should be fluffy at this point), then add the roast veggies, mix through and top with pistachios and mint.