Simple Tomato, Eggplant Pasta Sauce
This one is great as an easy weeknight dinner that also keeps well in the fridge and is great to have on hand to stir through with pasta or zoodles!
1 tbsp olive oil, plus 1-2 tablespoons extra
1 large brown onion, finely diced
2 large garlic cloves, finely diced
1 large eggplant, chopped into small cubes
1/4 cup chopped basil leaves, and a few whole ones to garnish
1/2 cup boiling water
1. Chop all your veggies and have them ready
2. Drizzle olive oil onto a heating fry pan or saucepan - at a medium to high temp, add the onion and stir for a few minutes or until fragrant and turning clear.
3. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or so before adding the eggplant - drizzlewith more olive oil as needed, you don’t want the eggplant to be dry. then season with salt and pepper to taste, mixing the eggplant every now and then for five minutes or so, or until it starts to cook through.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and mix well for a few minutes, then add the chopped basil leaves and leave to simmer for half an hour or so, if it starts to stick and dry out too much add water and mix it around before leaving it to simmer further, you may need to do this a few times until the mixture looks like a thick sauce.
5. Serve with pasta, or zucchini noodles if you’re feeling particularly healthy ;)