Serves 2 - 3
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 a large eggplant
Salt and pepper to taste
1 brown onion, diced
2 -3 large garlic cloved, minced
1 cup passata
1/2 cup red wine (shiraz worked well)
1 grated zucchini (grated finely)
1 grated carrot (grated finely)
1 large handful of baby spinach
Serve with pasta - I use an organic, gluten-free quinoa and rice pasta.
1. Pre heat the oven to 200C and bring a saucepan filled with water to the boil.
2. Chop the eggplant into 1-2cm cubes and place on baking paper lined tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Put the tray in the oven and cook the eggplant for 20 mins or until soft.
3. When the water has reached a boil, add in the pasta and a pinch of salt.
4. Heat a non stick fry pan on medium - high heat, add olive oil and onion, sauté for a few mins or until translucent.
5. Add the garlic and sauté with the onion for another minute or so.
6. Pour in the passata and red wine, bring to a boil, turn the heat down and leave to simmer for 5-10 mins on low heat.
7. Add in the finely grated zucchini and carrot, mix well and season with salt and pepper.
8. Add in the spinach, you may need to drizzle some water to thin out the sauce. Mix well until spinach is wilted.
9. Add the roast eggplant into the mix then spoon on top of cooked pasta.