1 tsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced then halved
1 BPA free tin of cherry tomatoes
1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp rice malt syrup
1/2 jalapeno or red chilli, finely diced and/or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Put a medium sized sauce pan on a medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
2. When the oil is hot add the onion, cooking until fragrant and translucent, stirring as it cooks. This should take a couple of minutes.
3. Add in the garlic, mixing again for a minute or so.
4. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and put them straight into the pan with the onion and garlic, cook on high heat, stirring for a few minutes and gradually add in the juice as it thickens like a sauce.
5. After leaving the mix to simmer for five minutes or so add in the white wine vinegar, rice malt syrup and chill (if using). Leave to simmer for a further 10-15 mins, adding in more of the juice or some water if it starts to stick to the pan, you don't want it to burn.
6. When it is at a consistency that you like, season it with salt and pepper to your taste.