Peanut Butter STew
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 brown onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 a small eggplant, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped into rounds
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
1/2 cup raw peanut butter
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 a small sweet potato, chopped
1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed well
1 zucchini, chopped into half moons
1/2 a bunch of kale, chopped roughly
1/4 cup frozen green peas
1/4 cup Parsley, either roughly or finely chopped
*Best served with white or brown rice or quinoa
1. Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan, add onion and lightly fry until translucent. Add garlic and continue to fry for another minute or so.
2. Add in the eggplant and carrots and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or so. Add in the tomatoes and the spices (cumin, turmeric) and salt and peppercorns, mix well. Add the peanut butter and mix again.
3. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Add the sweet potato and lentils, cook for five minutes then add the zucchini, keep boiling for about 15 minutes.
4. When the sauce has reduced and thickened and the lentils have cooked/softened, add in the kale, peas and parsely, mixing for a few minutes or until the kale is slightly wilted.
5. Serve with rice or quinoa